Sadly we must advise that John Close died on Sunday, 29th May 2011 at his home in Hornsea.
John came to the club on his appointment to ICI in Huddersfield in 1957, after education at Rosall School and St Edmund Hall (‘Teddy Hall’), Oxford University where he played for the Greyhounds XV.
He was HRUFC’s First XV captain in the 1958/59 and 1959/60 seasons, and was capped for his home county Durham, playing at prop.
Whilst in Huddersfield, he met his wife Ursula (nee Keogh) whose family had strong associations with the club.
Business opportunities took him from Huddersfield to Melton Mowbray and Billericay, then eventually to Hornsea, East Yorkshire.
John was a powerful rugby player, leader and wonderful racounteur – and will be sadly missed.
The funeral arrangements have been posted to the Hull & East Riding News website, please click here for more details.