By D. Whittle


Sheffield Tigers 28

Sheffield picked up their first away win since October, in a close run contest against a much improved Huddersfield.

The visitors could consider themselves lucky after Huddersfield dominated the first half, as they ran in three tries and led by 10 points at the interval.

But an off day with the boot from winger Luke Booth gave the Tigers the points and recorded only their fourth win in 13 games.

The home side showed signs of the promotion contenders that they were last year, as they started the brighter as the sun came out at Lockwood Park.

Michael Clarke almost opened the scoring after intercepting from half-way, only to be denied near the goal-line in Huddersfield’s first possession of the ball.

However Field didn’t have to wait long to open the scoring. Captain Nick Sharpe who was sin-binned last week, powered over the line following a scrum deep in Tigers territory.

Field then doubled their lead through Gareth Lewis. After a panicking Tigers defence looked to kick clear, the home side mauled into the corner as Lewis scored in the corner.

Unfortunately for Field, Booth was unable to convert on either occasion, but the signs looked promising.

Just as it looked like the game might already be slipping away from Sheffield, it took just three minutes for them to respond. Following a Huddersfield knock-on from the kick-off, Sheffield played the ball right, as Brett Tharmeloose latched on to a pass to score down the flank. Tom Outram converted to leave the score at 10-7.

As Sheffield settled and attempted to build on their try, Huddersfield scored a brilliant try from Jack Moon. The full-back chipped the ball over the visiting defence, rushing on to the ball, he kicked it across the line and dived on it for the score. Not needing the assistance of Booth for the try, Booth did his part and kicked the extras to give Field a 10 point lead at half-time. However he was unable to kick a penalty late in the half, yet Huddersfield went into the break deservedly in the lead, in a performance that had shocked their Yorkshire rivals.

Sheffield could not have wanted half-time sooner, but as the second half restarted, the Tigers clawed their way back in to the game. Firstly they scored as a Chris Duffy pass was intercepted just inside Tigers territory, as Jamie Broadley ran 60 metres to score and put his side into the game, as Outram levelled the score.

Share this post:

Rugby Results

27/AprFirst XV v Hull Ionians 94-26 (L)
13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

No fixtures just yet, check back soon!


No events just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners