By D Whittle

Huddersfield 13
Stockport 31

Two tries for Huddersfield’s Tom Owen was unable to prevent defeat against Stockport, who picked up a precious win.

Instead, two tries from substitute Mike Bayssat wrapped up a win for Stockport, keeping their dreams of playing in the National League Two North alive.

The visiting side opened the scoring after 12 minutes through James Flynn. The score came from a driving maul, which sent the prop over the line, after a spell of pressure in the Huddersfield half, with Josh Longmore kicking the conversion.

As Stockport began to increase the pressure, going close through opening scorer Flynn, Field defended well and asked questions of their own.

Unable to come with any answers, a poor kick was kept inbounds by Elliot Knight, as Huddersfield played from their right. Looking dangerous with the ball, Field played it left in a sweeping move. The ball was played from Michael Clarke to Tom Owen, who showed good feet to find his way over the line.

Unable to convert, but trailing by just two, Huddersfield were unable to follow up their try, as Stockport scored again just seven minutes later.

A brilliant reverse pass from Alex Xavier-Roebuck left a hole in the Field defence, which no.8 Nicholas Smith was able exploit and score.

As Longmore converted the second try, both teams exchanged penalties before half time, as after the first 40, Stockport led 17-8.

As the second half got underway, Field immediately looked to score under the viaduct, with the better chances in the opening 15 minutes of the second half.

But for all their hard-work and promise, Stockport scored again. In a well worked try, Longmore combined with substitutes Michael Barlow and Bayssat, the latter of which, powered over the line to score. The creator of the try Longmore, kicked the conversion. 

Yet, Huddersfield’s play was rewarded, as Owen picked up his second try of the afternoon. After a penetrating run through the middle by Niall Murphy, possession was driven left, as Owen received and rushed to the line, not needing the supporting cast. 

Though Chris Duffy was unable to convert and with Field trailing by 11, the determination to get back into the game was certainly present, especially that in the case of Owen. Having scored a try in front of the viaduct, he then saved a try at the opposite end. 

As others tired, Owen showed heart and good pace, as Stockport’s Barlow looked to pounce on the loose ball, a 20 metre race to developed, which was won by Field’s centre Owen, who expertly got the ball to safety.

But for Owen and Huddersfield, Stockport substitute Bayssat scored his second, just a few minutes later. The replacement scrum half motored his way into the corner, to absolutely secure the points, as Longmore converted.

Share this post:

Rugby Results

27/AprFirst XV v Hull Ionians 94-26 (L)
13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

No fixtures just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners