As the opening play gradually moved into the Huddersfield half, they were penalised and Sheffield opened the scoring with three points.

Huddersfield responded when their forwards made good metres, and Sheffield were penalised for off side, a quick tap re-start caught the home defence out of position as centre Elliot Whetham drew a defender before releasing the ball to the supporting Will Burgess who dashed over the line for a try, not converted but Huddersfield were deservedly in the lead.

On twenty five minutes Huddersfield lost possession in centre field and Sheffield moved from defence to attack distributing the ball well to score a converted try.

Sheffield made their way into the Huddersfield half and when the visitors were penalised at the ruck  a penalty goal extended their lead to thirteen points to five which is how the score remained to half time. 

Ten minutes into the second half, Huddersfield were on the attack and about fifteen metres from the Sheffield line the ball went loose and bounced nicely for a Sheffield player to pick up and win a lengthy foot race for a try.  Undaunted Huddersfield clawed their way towards the Sheffield line and were rewarded on fifteen minutes when inter-passing involving Lewis Bradley, Nathan Smith and Will Burgess gave Gregg Thompson the opportunity to take the ball on the run and the big forward was unstoppable from ten metres out, scoring a fine try with a quality conversion by Lewis Bradley taking the score to eighteen points to twelve in favour of Sheffield.

Huddersfield was penalised mid way in their own half and Sheffield kicked the goal to extend their lead by three points. 

Sheffield extended their lead with two quick tries (not converted) in five minutes both originating from kick and chase balls with good backing up and inter passing.  

On thirty two minutes, full back Andy Cuthill had made a devastating run from deep in his own half, he was hauled down metres short of the home try line, Sheffield could not get more than fifteen metres away from their line as the Huddersfield forwards were dominant and the visitors showed just what they are capable of quickly passing the ball along the line, beating the home defence for Luke Pickard to cross the try line where he took the ball five yards nearer the posts before touching down.  Lewis Bradley converted.  

In the final minute the home team kicked ahead and as a player from each side dived on the ball the official adjudged a try, not converted.

Final score

Sheffield U17s 36 (five tries one conversion three penalty goals) 

Huddersfield U17s 19 (three tries two conversions)

Share this post:

Rugby Results

27/AprFirst XV v Hull Ionians 94-26 (L)
13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

No fixtures just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners