By Ivaylo Ivanov

A number of Huddersfield mistakes allowed Stockport to grab their first National League II North win this season. 

Game finished 27-18 and was a huge disappointment for Field after their brilliant performance last week at home against Broadsheet. 

Huddersfield are 9th in the league table with 23 points while Stockport are last with 5.

First half of the game saw a cunning Stockport taking advantage of numerous Huddersfield mistakes converting them in a solid 27-6 advantage before the half time.

‘Field were clearly the better team during the second half but their efforts were not enough to melt Stockport’s solid advantage. 

The game was just a minute old when Chris Bell realised a penalty giving Huddersfield the lead.

It was Bell again in the 9th minute to increase Field’s lead to 0-6 taking advantage of another penalty.

But from the 15th minute onwards the problems for Lockwood side started as hosts took a full control of the game.

First on the scoreboard for Stockport was Ben Marsland in the 16th minute. He scored a try to decrease ‘Field’s advantage to a point only. Mark Edwards completed the conversion to make the result 7-6.

Several minutes later George Smith increased Stockport’s advantage scoring another try. Edwards scored the conversion and the result became 14-6.

It was Edwards again who was punctual from a penalty to make it 17-6 in the 21st minute. 

Huddersfield tried to reply but the score remained unchanged until the 36th minute when Stockport’s substitute Joseph Cantwell crossed the line after a beautiful run down the right wing to make the result 22-6. The conversion was completed by Mark Edwards. 

In the 39th minute Edwards scored another penalty for Stockport to make it 27-6 before the sides left the field for the interval.

Huddersfield went aggressively into the second half looking to score. They applied pressure which resulted in a try scored by the substitute Tom Bills in the 63rd minute. 

Just a couple of moments later the Lockwood team scored another try, the author of which this time was Gareth Lewis. Chris Bell successfully completed the following conversion to make the score 27-18.

‘Field continued to dominate the game until the very end but a good home defence stopped all their attempts ensuring the so awaited first Stockport win for the season. 

Stockport: Edwards, J, Tennuci, Platt-Hughes, Anthony, J, Fletcher, Smith, Edwards, M, Fuller, Millea, Anthony, C, Eccles, Hibbs, C, Marsland, Baldwin, Green.

Stockport substitutes: Mitchell, Graham, Hibbs, K, Cantwell, Street.

Huddersfield: Bells, Hodgson, Mitchell, Owen, Clarke, Hinchliffe, Jeffrey, Purcell, Thornton, Sanderson, Thompson, Rhodes, Malthouse, Hoyle, Sharpe.

Huddersfield substitutes: Bills, Lewis, Brown, Walker, Battye.

Share this post:

Rugby Results

13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

07/SepFirst XV v Sandal Away


No events just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners