By N Lawless

Huddersfield turned up the heat on a bitterly cold day to storm past sorry Leicester Lions 37-3 at Lockwood Park. 

The home side shrugged off the difficult conditions to make it three wins on the bounce and continue their excellent start to 2015.

The game started off in scrappy fashion with the harsh weather conditions contributing to a series of ball spillages by players of both sides.

Huddersfield made the first breakthrough of the match on 18 minutes when a high kick into the Leicester half saw a missed catch let in Elliot Hodgson to run through and complete the try.

Leicester responded by pushing Huddersfield deep into their own half and enjoyed a spell of good possession before winning a penalty on 25 minutes, kicked over by Daniel Burke.

Huddersfield resisted the Leicester pressure which wielded few serious chances and the home side got their reward with a penalty of their own on the half-hour mark, Chris Bell scoring to make the score 8-3 going into half-time. 

Straight from the restart Huddersfield put Leicester under immediate pressure, pushing them deep and earning a scrambled try within two minutes, Alex Battye the scorer and Bell converting. 

‘Field were now in control, dominating possession, mixing up their play and looking to kill off the game in quick time. 

A third try came shortly after with a well-worked attack seeing the ball swiftly moved over the length of the pitch to Tom Hodson on the right wing to score, with Bell narrowly missing the difficult conversion.

Just after the hour-mark came the important fourth try for the bonus point where another scramble saw Austen Thompson force the ball over the line, Bell’s kick this time hitting the post.

Rallied on by the entertained home fans, a scrummage allowed Huddersfield to push Leicester back 20 yards to set up another try, this time for Captain Nick Sharpe to make it 30-3.

Straight after another quick Huddersfield attack saw them cut Leicester open once again, with only a slightly short final pass in Hinchcliffe’s direction preventing them from adding to their impressive lead.

The final try came as a result of Leicester’s overplaying. With 80 minutes on the clock, a pass deep in the Leicester half was intercepted sharply by the onrushing Elliot Hodgson to complete the try with an impressive front-roll.

Chris Bell’s conversion completed the scoring with the referee blowing up straight after to complete a terrific performance and result for on-fire Huddersfield. 

Huddersfield: Tom Hodson, David Hall, Elliot Hodgson, Tom Owen, Michael Clark, Chris Bell, Dan Jeffrey, James Purcell, Ross Thornton, Laurence Sanderson, Austen Thompson, Nick Rhodes, Adam Malthouse, Ben Hoyle, Nick Sharpe

Subs: Ben Morrill, Joel Hinchliffe, Henry Walker, Elliot Knight, Alex Battye

Leicester Lions: Jacob Knight, Devon Constant, Gift Snkoh, Steven Cross, David Williams, Daniel Burke, George Prince, Benjamin Spokes, Oliver Taylor, Shaun Murray, Alexander Knight, Mathew Tuckey, John Murdoch, Drew Rudkin, Robert Young

Subs: Harry Morley, Laurence Brown, Aaren Riley, Michael Nolan, Timothy Douglas

Huddersfield scorers:
Elliot Hodgson – try – 18 minutes (missed conversion)
Chris Bell – pen – 30 minutes
Alex Battye – try – 42 minutes (conversion by Chris Bell)
Tom Hodson – try – 50 minutes (missed conversion)
Austen Thompson – try – 62 minutes (missed conversion)
Nick Sharpe – try – 68 minutes (missed conversion)
Elliot Hodgson – try – 80 minutes (conversion by Chris Bell)

Leicester Lions scorers:
Dan Burke – pen – 25 minutes

Share this post:

Rugby Results

27/AprFirst XV v Hull Ionians 94-26 (L)
13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

No fixtures just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners