Huddersfield got back to winning ways at Lockwood Park but were made to work hard for it by bottom club Stockport in the 26-11 victory.


In fact, at one point Huddersfield looked like they were echoing last week’s disappointing defeat at Broadstreet as they trailed 0-11 during the first half.


Stockport’s only win this season came in the reverse fixture and they made a spirited start in their attempt to repeat the trick. A first minute penalty was missed by George Smith as the away side looked to make its mark.


On five minutes Huddersfield were down a man, with skipper Nick Sharpe given a yellow card for a high tackle.


It took just two minutes Stockport to make the most of the numerical advantage and they scored the first try of the game through Kieran Hibbs to go five up.


The underdogs had started well, dominating possession and looking eager to complete a double over Huddersfield this season.


On 14 minutes another Stockport penalty was this time converted by Smith to increase their lead.


Huddersfield responded by finally having some possession of their own and forced Stockport back towards their own try line.


However another Stockport penalty, this time for offside saw Smith put them 11 ahead before the half-hour mark.


Shortly after, Huddersfield finally got their breakthrough after a long spell of pressure punctuated by several scrums saw Tom Hodson eventually run the ball over for Huddersfield’s first try.


From then the home side looked far more likely to assert their dominance and did so straight after the half-time break.


A great passing move from one flank to the other saw Tom Owen eventually with enough time to score, with Joel Hinchliffe’s conversion putting Huddersfield into the lead.


A third try followed on 50 minutes with another prolonged move eventually releasing Elliot Knight after a superb high pass caught Stockport out to make the score 19-11.


It seemed from there Stockport would crumble and Huddersfield would be able to rack up a high score but to the away side’s credit, they kept in the game till the final whistle and Huddersfield were having to wait to find any gaps in defence, despite their overall dominance.


Eventually the result was made safe with 15 minutes to spare after a great push by the Huddersfield forwards saw Ben Hoyle eventually get the ball over the line with Hinchliffe’s conversion increasing the score further.


Huddersfield saw the game out in fairly uneventful fashion to record a seventh win in eight games during the calendar year.


Whilst the performance wasn’t as flashy as some this year, it was vitally important for ‘Field to bounce back after last week’s disappointment as they prepare to take on title challengers Ampthill next.



Hodson, Rawsthorne, Hodgson, Owen, Knight, Hinchliffe, Jeffrey, Battye, Morrill, Sanderson, Thompson, Rhodes, Malthouse, Hoyle, Sharpe


Subs: Walker (H), Wood, Thornton, Clark, Purcell



Edwards, Fletcher, Platt-Hughes, Kaclubskys, Hall, Smith, Street, Fuller, Longmore, Anthony, Roody, Waddington, Hibbs K, Marsland, Green


Subs: Graham, Miller, Hibbs C, Barlow, Batterbury


Share this post:

Rugby Results

27/AprFirst XV v Hull Ionians 94-26 (L)
13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

No fixtures just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners