Huddersfield kicked off 2015 with an important home win over struggling Luctonians, triumphing 19-12 at Lockwood Park.

Huddersfield never relinquished a lead they took within the first five minutes but it was by no means an easy ride for the home side on a cold and wet Saturday afternoon. 

They made a great start with Dave Hall getting a try early on. Some quick thinking from Hall saw him exchange passes with Nick Sharpe to catch Luctonians out and complete a simple but well-executed try, with the conversion coming from Joel Hinchcliffe. 

Luctonians began to come into the game and pushed Huddersfield back, making their breakthrough on 15 minutes when a prolonged scramble saw Sam Jones eventually get the ball over the line. 

The missed conversion left it at 7-5 with the first half becoming bogged down and sloppy passing from both sides dominating play, neither team quite at the races. 

Huddersfield came out for the second half looking much improved, the passing looking swifter and much more positive.

Again the breakthrough came early, with a prolonged attack that almost saw a try several time eventually saw the ball come out to Ben Mitchell on the left wing to finish the move with a flourish and make it 12-5.

Luctonians fought back well again with the overall standard of the second half being much higher and more competitive than the first.

Despite the efforts of the away side, a swift move from Huddersfield set Tom Owen away to increase their lead with a well-worked try, Chris Bell completing the conversion.

Huddersfield were now looking in control of the game, shutting Luctonians and having the best of possession. 

However, Luctonians caused a nervous last 10 minutes for the home crowd with a move across the pitch freeing up space for Jimmy Norris on the left wing to score, with the conversion by Geraint Langdon closing the gap.

That was as close as Luctonians could get though and Huddersfield managed to see the match out fairly comfortably with Luctonians unable to break down their defence at 19-12.  

On the final whistle, tempers overflowed with members of both teams becoming in a scrap after a tangle between two players, which threatened to sour the win for Huddersfield. 

However, referee Chris Bennett managed to calm proceedings fairly quickly on what was overall a very good start to the new year for Huddersfield.

Share this post:

Rugby Results

13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

07/SepFirst XV v Sandal Away


No events just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners