Huddersfield secured their second win of the season and their second try scoring bonus point with a fine performance against Luctonians at Lockwood Park.
The first quarter of the match was a bit of a stalemate with both sides producing moments of threat, some solid defence and some indifferent kicking in an effort to break it.

The deadlock was broken on 25 minutes when one such long kick by Luctonians was picked up by Huddersfield fly half Harry Davey inside his own half. He used his space to build up a head of steam for a sprint down the left wing supported by full back Lewis Workman. The two exchanged neat passes to round the Luctonian defenders and Workman touched down. Harry Davey converted. Two minutes later winger Rian Hamilton was on the scoresheet. When Luctonians fumbled one of Huddersfield’s high kicks, the ball was snapped up, worked left and grubbed through the defence to create try two.

The home side then took control of the game. A fifteen point lead was created with a Harry Davey penalty and the third try came as the interval approached. A penalty had given Huddersfield a line out five metres out which was taken well and driven over by the Huddersfield pack, Adam Malthouse being the man to ground the ball. Davey notched his second goal kick.

Luctonians got their first score with the last kick of half. When Huddersfield centre Will Milner was yellow carded for a dangerous tackle scrum half Louis Silver landed the penalty.

After the interval Luctonians worked hard to exploit their one man advantage and six minutes into the second half they were right back in the game. Two tries came in quick succession, the first virtually from the re-start. Fly half Tom Jones skating through the vacant centre channel with full back Will Hodnett coming into the line to score in the left corner. Huddersfield were on the back foot for the next five minutes and appeared to have weathered the storm with some good defence but another poor kick gifted possession back to the visitors. Left winger Frank Kelly rounded off a nice move for the second score. Silver’s conversion reduced the deficit to seven points.

Milner’s return to the field of play helped Huddersfield re-take control of the match and after a prolonged spell of ball retention by the home side try number four came on 55 minutes. With the Luctonians holding up the Huddersfield advance mid-way inside their own half a low driven kick through their line was chased up and seized by Workman for his second score of the match. Davey converted.

The next fifteen minutes of rugby was played almost entirely in the Luctonians half. Huddersfield were working the ball through the phases but their visitors produced some spirited defence. The final score of the match came after a penalty had given Huddersfield another attacking line out. When the drive was held up Harry Davey dropped back into the pocket to produce a deft drop goal.

With the game now lost Luctonians displayed a never say die attitude and pressed hard for a consolation score but the home defence held firm.   

Share this post:

Rugby Results

13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

07/SepFirst XV v Sandal Away


No events just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners