Huddersfield’s pre-season match programme concluded with a nice home win against last year’s North East 1 champions Pocklington. The club’s Falcons team got the afternoon of rugby at Lockwood Park off to a good start with an emphatic 40 points to 5 win against Sandal 2nd’s. The only down side being a shoulder injury to their new Number 8 Jack Davies which could see him out of action for some time.  

The first team match was also marred by more injury woes when ‘Field’ when prop Callum Thompson slipped having taken the ball from the kick off. The big lad was to see no more of the game.

The home side made a competent start, looking good with ball in hand, passing and re-cycling well. However it was the visitors who were six points up on the half hour. Pocklington fly half Jonty Peters cashing in on two penalty opportunities following some careless Huddersfield errors.

However ‘Field’ finished the half strongly and a well worked try by Adam Malthouse, which was converted by Joel Hinchliffe, and another by Nick Sharpe, also converted by Hinchliffe, gave them a deserved lead at the interval.

Five minutes into the second period ‘Field’ increased their advantage by another seven points. This time it was hooker Francis Entressengle who rounded off some nice full width rugby after a line out inside the opposition 22 following a penalty offence by Pocklington. Again Hinchliffe added the extras.
With the game now looking safe the yellow carding of the Huddersfield skipper Nick Sharpe for a handling offence in the ruck put renewed wind into the visitor’s sails. A try by the ‘Pock’ lock Archie Fothergill behind a good scrummage followed which Peters converted.

The North Premier new boys showed no shortage of ability and determination and were intent on ending Huddersfield’s long unbeaten run but it was the higher placed team that rounded off the match well to take the spoils. Huddersfield had been pressing hard in the final quarter and when Pocklington fluffed their chance to get out of jail by missing a penalty kick for touch with ten minutes remaining their game was up. The ball was run back at them with interest and Entressengle rounded off the play with his second try of the match under the posts. 

The closing minutes were capped with another try by ’Field’, industrious flanker Lewis Bradley touching down after a fine driving maul. Hinchliffe converted with his most impressive kick of the game from the touchline wide right.

Share this post:

Rugby Results

13/AprFirst XV v Wharfedale 17-40 (L)
13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

27/AprFirst XV v Hull Ionians Away (3pm)

Main Partners

Club Partners