By Brandon Reeves

Huddersfield had to endure another tight occasion at Lockwood Park and despite being twice behind in the match, produced a comeback to seal a momentous 24-21 result over Tynedale, their fifth win in a row.

Captain Dickie Piper and the forward pack were at the sharp end of the scoring with Piper himself bagging a brace, front row Fran Entressengle also getting himself a score.

Tynedale made Field work for the points, but Gareth Lewis’ team have found a way to win ugly when put under pressure recently.

But the win keeps them fourth in the table since leaders Hinckley fell to a first defeat of the season, the top spot is now within touching distance for Field.

Huddersfield were made to chase the game for most of the eighty, and Tynedale made the breakthrough fifteen minutes in.

Their 5-metre lineout was worked across before fly half Matthew Outson delicately kicked over advancing Field players for wing Benjamin Beaumont to run on to and touch down.

Though there was a bluster of wind, Full back Robert Parker didn’t need to master the conditions much to kick the conversion from in front of the posts.

Field now had to respond and took just five minutes to do so. Their first period of sustained pressure inside Tdaleyne’s 22 brought about the reply. Dickie Piper exiting the scrum put pressure on Tyne to defend their line.

Three quick rucks soon after and Piper was on cue to force his way over. Will Milner was on hand to kick through to level.

But Tyne were to have the better of the half and the scoreboard at the break would reflect that.

They always tried to recycle possession quickly, scrum half Cameron Nordli-Kelemeti a driving part of it.

He would start the play that Tynedale’s backs would rush home from their 10 metres.

Guy Pike on the other wing would be on the end of the quick attack that caught Field on the hop defensively. Parker again scored with the boot.

With work to do again in the second half, not the for the first time this season, Field found themselves needing a second half turnaround.

It wasn’t long before that pack got to do some damage. The lineout just shy of 5 metres became a driving maul, and Fran Entressengle the man to go over with little Tynedale resistance.
With momentum now, Field took the game to the visitors, and just two minutes after Entressengle’s try, they would score again.

Entressengle, Adam Blades and Bob Sykes all wrestled for the ball from Tynedale possession and Dickie Piper nipped in to steal the ball back.

Outside the 22, Joe Green found Milner who sent Lewis Workman on his way to the corner, Field now had a lead for the first time.

Just less than ten minutes after, Tynedale reapplied pressure from the front to force Huddersfield back, but a key moment in the game took hold.

Referee Owen Taylor missed a Tyne knock-on in Field’s 22. After getting off scot-free, they headed to the corner, where back row William Montgomery would bundle it over for the try.

Parker again converted but the try should never have stood, Field with work to do again with fifteen to play.

Tynedale were now faltering, giving penalties and scrums away, giving field the impetus to drive up the field.

Their match-winner came from that pressure. Another scrum 5 metres out.

Another Piper scrum exit, almost vintage at this point, produced another try that Tynedale would have no answer to after Milner kicked through.

Gareth Lewis said “We didn’t reach the levels of last week, but I guess that’s credit to Tynedale.

“Individually we just weren’t quite there but as a team we found a way to turn it around with some great accuracy and control in the last ten minutes.

“We must now set the emotional reset button and prepare well for a tough trip to Peterborough next week.”

League Roundup:

Hinckley’s unbeaten start hit a wall at Chester, but they stay top on points difference despite second-place Hull’s win at South Leicester.

Sedgley, one place above field returned to winning ways to stay third after beating Sheffield Tigers.

Fylde and Stourbridge both scored bonus point wins over Peterborough and Wharfedale respectively.

Near the bottom, Preston beat Macclesfield and Leicester Lions picked up a second win at Otley but stay in the bottom three

Share this post:

Rugby Results

13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

07/SepFirst XV v Sandal Away


No events just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners