By Brandon Reeves

Huddersfield scored six tries against rock bottom Peterborough to make it six wins in a row in National 2 North, beating the Lions 43-14 at Solstice Park.

Young winger Arthur Wilkinson was at the double with a couple of first half tries, while Will Milner had his kicking boots on with five conversions and a penalty to his credit.

The controlled team performance by a strong Field unit lifts them to third in the league ahead of a huge clash with second placed Hinckley next week.

Will Milner opened his account for the afternoon when he started the scoring with an early penalty from under the posts.

Lions were up against it more often than not and hooker Jack Askham received a yellow for his overexuberant attempts to thwart Field’s advances.

Leaving his mates a man short, Huddersfield pounced on the Lions, coming out of the scrum, Tom Hodson would send Arthur Wilkinson in for a first converted Field try.

Peterborough in reply used their lineout to devastating effect. Their pack drove through Field’s defences to get off the mark, Suva Maasi touching down the converted try, Ben Young kicking through.

Huddersfield were doing well everywhere else on the pitch, both packs were battling hard, but Field were gaining the edge.

A scrum inside Lions’ half exited down the right and Field made the break, Wilkinson turned on the afterburners to run past three and in behind for a second score of the match. Milner put through the posts after.

Lions barely had a chance to regroup or reply when Huddersfield were back at their try line.

Tom Hodson made a weaving run into Peterborough territory from his own half. The forwards then worked the rucks into a scoring position and eventually drove over to touch down.

While Field had Lions at arm’s length, the hosts would be back with that driving pack. Another lineout from a similar position to their earlier score, it was nearly a carbon copy as Tom Lewis scored, Young kicked to make the deficit just ten points at half time.

In the second half Field would go on to score an unanswered nineteen points.

Harry Whitfield, on as replacement got the scoring going early on. Elliot Knight went on a run up the left side into the 22. Field had men over and they moved it smartly across, where Whitfield was the man in space sent over.

Peterborough were susceptible to these sorts of runs into space all afternoon, yet another try came from it.

Will Milner this time making up the metres into opposition territory, could have even had the score for himself but waited for his partner at centre James Davies before providing the assist, then the conversion.

Huddersfield put the final stamp on the win in a style familiar to Lions. Working their lineout maul to the line, several rucks later and from the mix of bodies, a Field man touched down, Adam Blades credited with the score after the pack plugged away.

The match ended on a fairly sour note however. While the match was drifting away, one or two from either side got involved in some scuffling, a player each side yellowed for their troubles.

But more serious was Jack Maplesden who sustained a neck injury in one of the ensuing melees.

The referee decided to end the match as Maplesden lay prostrate and time was nearly up. An ambulance later took the scrum half to hospital, his situation turning out less serious than feared.

But all in all a solid victory for Field, where they may have even scored more points, but five points is five points ahead of the Hinckley clash.

Head coach Gareth Lewis was pleased with his side’s efforts. “This was another good team performance away from home.

“These games are never easy, but we played to the game plan well and fought for each other throughout.

“We can now prepare for a big week ahead against an excellent Hinckley side. Our team spirit is incredibly tight, and we look forward to having a shot against one of the competitions big boys.”

As one of the ‘big boys’ lay in waiting for Field, the other sides at the top experienced mixed feelings from their matchdays.

Hull sneaked a win past Chester by a single point to stay top, Hinckley remained solid to beat Fylde to stay second, but Sedgley were bettered by Tynedale meaning Huddersfield leapfrog them.

Elsewhere Stourbridge and South Leicester put on a scoring clinic as Stour won 57-45 in the West Midlands.

Leicester Lions edged out Preston, Wharfedale managed a win against second bottom Macclesfield, while Otley defeated Sheffield Tigers at Dore Moor.

Share this post:

Rugby Results

15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)
13/AprFirst XV v Wharfedale
13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2

Rugby Fixtures

27/AprFirst XV v Hull Ionians Away (3pm)

Main Partners

Club Partners