The Falcons came away with a good win against an abrasive Ossett first team on Saturday.  Field had almost total control of the first 30 minutes. Strong carries by the forwards and good surges in the backs created a lot of pressure. Ossett defended well and hit hard but eventually the pressure told. Following further good carries by the forwards John Sedgwick was driven over from short range. Josh Newton converting 7-0 Falcons.

The strong defence by Ossett unfortunately resulted in injuries as the half went on. First to leave was Elliot Munnely after damaging a finger nail after a good break. James Davies stepped into the stand-off role with immediate effect, darting between defenders after quick ball from the forwards and dotting down under the posts. Conversion Josh Newton 14-0 to Falcons.

Jo Sheils scored a deserved close range try on around 30 minutes. Sheilsy carried strong throughout the match and managed to dot one over before half time. Conversion missed by Newton 19-0 to Falcons.

A further injury to Danny Hood at hooker resulted in his departure with a graze to his arm. Big Ashton Quashie joined the match after a long layoff from rugby. Despite this strengthening the scrum the enforced changes did cause a little disruption to what had been till this point a controlled game. Osset came back and got to within 5 metres. Strong defence resulted in a penalty to Field with a minute of the half to play. After his earlier score one can only presume James Davies had ideas of being the next Carlos Spencer. Unfortunately playing more like Frank Spencer, Davies looked to quick tap from the penalty on his own 5metres. Forgetting to actually tap the ball, the ref gave a scrum to Osset form which they managed to squeeze over. Half time 19-5 to Falcons.

After a strong first half Adam Williamson left the field at half time with a double nail injury. Danny Copley joining in his place. With their tails up after the pre half time score, Osset were again next to score. A kick to the corner and maul resulted in a converted try 19-12 Falcons.

Some discrepancies in refereeing the break down made things difficult for the Falcons to gain some control again. Fierce defence form the back row trio of Woodhouse, Alex Lee and Leighton Davis kept field in the game but eventually Osset rumbled over for another score. 19-19

It would have been easy now for Osset to take control of the game; however Field dug in well and really found heart to get back into the game. Steve Parry made a lovely mid field break and like Moses parting the waters, defenders disappeared in front of him. A score seemed certain till he tripped up. Joe Morrison having another outstanding game in the centres made a powerful break up the left. The forwards took control and battered the Osset line.  Veteran Gavin Rhodes was held up centimetres short but good recycling allowed Elliot Spiers to squeeze in for the decisive score. Conversion Steve Parry 26-19 to Field.

With 6 minutes still to play Ossett looked to get back downfield but real heart, determination and proper Huddersfield pride kept them at bay.  Tom ‘Enforcer’ Hirst showing exactly what was needed –  passion and fury defending his own line he knocked back Ossett’ s big ball carriers unfortunately suffering  neck injuries in the process resulting in just a 30 second cameo but it was enough to inspire the lads to victory.

A gritty and well deserved win. Special mention to academy players Alex Lee, Leighton Davis and Joe Morrison who were all outstanding and are really growing into this team

Share this post:

Rugby Results

13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

07/SepFirst XV v Sandal Away


No events just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners