Huddersfield had a day to forget on the road as Fylde produced a comprehensive display to claim a 40-10 victory. The home side demonstrated emphatically to their visitors just why their season has started with such promise, showing a ruthless streak on the counterattack which Field simply could not find an answer to.

This trip to the west coast always looked to be a tough fixture, and Field learnt exactly why the hosts had been so successful in their opening trio of fixtures this season one minute into proceedings, Adam Lewis receiving the ball close to the try-line and duly going over to give Fylde a perfect start.

Greg Smith added the conversion to give the hosts an early 7 point cushion, soon extended when the Tom’s combined as Grimes fed Carleton who crashed over, the only consolation for the stunned visitors being Smith’s failure to add the conversion onto this one.

Field began to come to terms with the task at hand following this and were searching for a way back into the contest, putting significant pressure against Fylde within metres of their try-line for a long spell which culminated in a penalty from a central position being easily dispatched by Will Milner to give the visitors a foothold back into the game.

From this position Field looked well placed to press onwards and look to get more points on the board. Fylde had other ideas. After Lex Botha swiftly regained possession and ran it deep into Huddersfield territory on the wing, he played a pass infield which just about reached Smith and he found Ben Gregory who had the simplest of tasks to pounce over the try-line from inside the posts, Smith this time left with the easiest of conversions to dispatch for his contribution in the build-up.

A tough blow to take after looking like getting back into the game which Field never truly recovered from after going into half time with their heads down rather than up, and as the second half unfolded it told an unwanted familiar story with an early try again being scored by Fylde, this time through Connor Wilkinson down the wing, Smith with a well taken conversion to leave the visitors with a mountain to climb.

The mountain never really looked like being scaled despite a worthy effort from Field and Fylde benefitted late on from the visitors desperation to get back into the contest, a clever kick through on the break being pounced on by Wilkinson for his second try and the home sides fifth of the afternoon, Smith’s conversion again proving to be effective.

The visitors misery was compiled when Alex Loney broke out of a Fylde maul and added another try for the hosts, an impressive display of kicking from Smith being backed up once more with another successful conversion.

Field managed to grab themselves a consolation try with the last action of the game, a well worked maul of their own being sent over the try-line from Ross Thornton and Milner adding the conversion to give Field something to shout about.

For the final result it was far too little too late however as the full time whistle was blown immediately after Milner’s kick to give Fylde a comfortable victory on the day, a result which sees them move up to second in the National League 2 North table, whilst Huddersfield remain second from bottom after their first away defeat of the new season.

Next up for Field is the visit of bottom side Scunthorpe to Lockwood Park, a fixture which Gareth Lewis and his players will be hoping can be used as a springboard to kickstart their season.

Share this post:

Rugby Results

27/AprFirst XV v Hull Ionians 94-26 (L)
13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

No fixtures just yet, check back soon!


No events just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners