Wharfedale edge Past Huddersfield in High-Scoring Contest

Huddersfield suffered a narrow defeat against Wharfedale in a hotly contested affair at Lockwood Park.

The loss also sees Field eliminated from the Yorkshire Cup as the fixture doubled up as a league match and cup tie.

Field were looking to build on back to back victories against Scunthorpe and Preston which had given a welcome boost to their National 2 North campaign, and more than matched their visitors in the opening stages where penalties were traded by both sides as each looked to feel their way into the game.

An even contest was turned on its head by Wharfedale midway through the first half, who scored two quick fire tries through Matt Speres and Henry Macnab to take control of the otherwise even game, the conversions added on to give Field a 14-point deficit to try and overturn.

Despite this the hosts didn’t let their heads drop and played some patient rugby which was rewarded with Alex Battye crashing over despite the best efforts of the Wharfedale back row, and then more so when a scrum near the touchline was well worked to the visitors try-line and skipper Dickie Piper dropped on the ball to ensure Field went in at halftime in a good position to challenge in the second half.

There was frustration when Field too easily allowed Wharfedale to claim an early try in the second half, but the mood was lifted when a lineout was well worked from the home side and Liam Parfitt broke away from the ensuing maul to claim his second try from 2 successive games after getting the opener last week against Preston, Will Milner this time successful with his conversion to make the game finely balanced at 20-22.

This was unfortunately about as good as it got for Field, with the away side extending their advantage when, after long deliberation with his assistant, the referee deemed Wharfedale to have just got the ball over the line right in the corner of the pitch for their bonus point try after a kick over the top of the Field defence wasn’t dealt with.

A brilliantly taken Milner penalty kick from near the halfway line was matched by an equally impressive dispatch of a penalty from Wharfedale, who then turned the screw when they added another penalty kick alongside a Oli Cicognini try to which the conversion was added to stretch the visitors advantage to 17 points as the game approached the final 5 minutes.

Field had something to shout about when a series of lineouts were again well worked and this time Alex Battye was the one who profited to ensure the home side would walk away with a try bonus point.

Milner’s successful conversion was swiftly followed by the referees full time whistle and brought to an end an exciting encounter which looked as though it could have swung either way at times but eventually went in favour of the visitors from north Yorkshire, who lifted themselves up to 8th place in the table on 18 points.

Field meanwhile are 11th with 14 points accumulated and will be looking to get back to winning ways when they welcome another Yorkshire side in the form of Sheffield Tigers to Lockwood Park next weekend.

Share this post:

Rugby Results

13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

07/SepFirst XV v Sandal Away


No events just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners