Huddersfield maintained their 5-point gap from the bottom 3, moving up to tenth in the national 2 north with a 31-15 victory over Tynedale.

Despite the sporting world being clouded by cancellations and postponements due to Covid-19, the National League 2 North ploughed on with its fixtures for fans to get their sporting fix, as the season draws nearer to crunch time.

The match very much started in Tynedale’s favour, Nick Sharpe and Lewis Bradley were sent to the sin bin in quick succession. The away used the two-man advantage to apply the pressure, pinning Field back in their own final third for the first 10 minutes.

The pressure paid off when Ben Bell Broke loose after sustained attacking efforts finally came to fruition, going over to put Tynedale 10-3 up.

But, as has become all too familiar this season, Huddersfield’s fight back began from straight from the restart whistle. With 15 back on the pitch, Field caught Tynedale flat on their heels, and Fran Entressengle burst from the line to bring the home side level.

Entressengle’s try reinstated the confidence Field needed to take the game to Tynedale in this decisive tie. With other results going against Huddersfield in the table, Gareth Lewis’s side could have ended the afternoon in a dangerous position should they not have earned their result.

This confidence was put on show for all at Lockwood Park to see, beautiful persistence from Field in the final third saw them gain yardage, and the quick feet of Lewis Bradley when breaking from the maul found the spare man Tom Hodson who went over unchallenged on the right flank to go 17-10 ahead.

Tyndale maintained their foothold in the competition on the stroke of half time, a quick move across the line in the final third found the spare man on the left wing to go over and and set up a second half that was all to play for, with the score at 17-15.

Lewis Bradley’s sparks of creativity and quick thinking have been a vital component of Field’s resurgence in form this season, and he showed why he has been so important to Gareth Lewis’s starting XV once again. His lighting fast decision making from a penalty decision saw him restart play with Tynedale caught unawares and formed an attack that was finished off by the physical Josh Crickmay, who refused to be brought down by the incoming challenge.

The second half belonged to Field from that moment on, Lewis’ side were an organised pack that proved far too difficult to break down and their resolute defensive play kept Tynedale at bay for the rest of the tie.

Alex Battye sealed the bonus points on 65 minutes, when a charging maul pushed him over the line, after lengthy referee deliberations the try was finally awarded to reach the final score line 31-15, with thanks to a one-hundred percent conversion record for the afternoon from Will Milner

“This was an outstanding performance, which we dominated from start to finish. We spoke about applying pressure on Tynedale and we did that by getting on top up front and keeping the scoreboard ticking” said Gareth Lewis.

With talks of possible pools panels being used to determine the outcome of National League promotions and relegations due to covid-19, Lewis is sure his team can sustain momentum.

“We are now faced with an unprecedented situation, but we will be ready if and when the next league arrives”.

Share this post:

Rugby Results

15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)
13/AprFirst XV v Wharfedale
13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2

Rugby Fixtures

27/AprFirst XV v Hull Ionians Away (3pm)

Main Partners

Club Partners