Match Report…. Falcons 38-12 Old Brodleians 2nds

Friday 1st September saw the Falcons kick off their season with a local derby under the lights at Lockwood Park.

In true Falcons fashion the warm up started in dribs and drabs before splitting forwards and backs; the backs went off to discuss hairstyles whilst the forwards tried to figure out how to catch a line-out. After teaching the returning Will Cossey how to jump we figured out we had two lineout options. Following a spirited speech from Leighton we trotted out for the kick off.

Following the kick off the forwards secured clean ball and the hangover free Toby Spooner released his sizeable back line, the monstrous centre pairing of Xander and Kieran began tearing up before Falcons newcomer Stef, went in from halfway for a first 5 minute try. Kieran then stepped up to take the kick before realising Singh didn’t bring the tee out, with time ticking down attempted a massive drop kick which just sneaked left of the posts. Following good territorial phase play Leighton then ran one in for 30 metres out. Kieran converted ( I think ).

However, it wasn’t all champagne rugby for the mighty Field as despite the ball being thrown in straight we couldn’t catch the line out. Luckily the opposition were unable to do anything with the extra lineout ball as they were opting to kick it to Charlie Foreman most times they got the ball. As a result of this tactic by the opposition, it allowed the backs to send Stef or Kieran over the line somewhere, maybe twice. Sending Field into the break either 3 or 4 tries up.

The second half team talk was simple, backs keep doing what you’re doing forwards catch the ball in the line out.

The second half kicked off and Field soon realised Brods had now come to play. The game got scrappy and Brods managed to put pressure on Field resulting in Brods scoring at some point. This gave Field the kick up the arse they needed, we then brought on the mighty Hodgey fired up by the smell of the post match beers and harem of women awaiting him, alongside Field debutant Callum who was eager to impress. Sadly moments after joining the field Callum was instructed to exit the field by the ref after deciding to start a fight with a man who was nowhere near the ball because he could? The 10 minute sin bin period was up and Field replaced decided to leave young Callum still on the naughty step and sent on big Justin Brown to calm things down.

Following this some rugby was played before a Brods winger was going down the wing and Hodgey somehow performed a high tackle despite the ball carrier being twice his height. This resulted in handbags by both teams, someone’s mum shouted “get him off” and someone’s dad who’s obviously unaffected by the cost of living crisis threw a £5 pint over poor Stef. Hodgey got a 10 minute break courtesy of the ref for this offence.

Whilst down to 14 Brods managed to get another try. Once back to 15 Field realised playing tight wasn’t the way and open free flowing rugby resumed. Xander went trundling down the left wing throwing opposing defenders down at his will before passing on to Charlie who dotted it down in the corner. Field’s final try came in the dying moment of the game when Toby Spooner stepped half the Brods pack before putting Kieran under the sticks with an out the back pass whilst being taken down. Kieran converted. The final whistle went score 38-12 we think, meaning Field keep their 100% Friday night lights record.

Special mention to Xander who despite the new tackle laws didn’t have one high tackle all game.

*Written by Sam Mann whilst under the influence of alcohol watching rugby

Share this post:

Rugby Results

15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)
13/AprFirst XV v Wharfedale 17-40 (L)
13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2

Rugby Fixtures

27/AprFirst XV v Hull Ionians Away (3pm)

Main Partners

Club Partners