Match Report….Lymm 41-48 Huddersfield


Huddersfield notched their first win of their National 2 North season in a real humdinger of a game against newly promoted Lymm away. Despite going behind early on and being reduced to 13 men for ten second half minutes and 14 for the last ten Field turned in a battling performance to secure a victory by 48 points to 41. In a match that ebbed and flowed and produced 12 tries, including a quick fire brace by Field hooker Ethan Myers, it was the visitors up front power and flawless goal kicking that proved decisive.

Director of rugby Neil Ryan said, ‘It was a roller coaster of emotion. We started slowly and committed too many unforced errors which gave Lymm an early advantage but we struck with our first entry and started to force some dominance. The four tries before half time gave us lots of positives to take into the break. Although Lymm hit back we dug deep and showed a great attitude and a lot of determination. A superb individual try gave us back the lead and we re-asserted our dominance to earn the win.’

Lymm’s lively backs struck twice in the first ten minutes, winger Patrick Jennings and scrum half Callum Morris scoring tries which were converted by Cormac Nolan. Flanker Liam Parfitt hit back with a try for Field on 12 minutes and the conversion and a penalty by fly half Joe Gallagher narrowed the gap and set the scene for a dramatic second quarter.

Not long into it fly half Jack Reynolds got a third try for Lymm which Nolan converted but Field produced a dynamic late onslaught to take a 31-21 lead into the half time break.

Following the set back Field produced a controlled and clinical spell, retaining possession, going through the phases and eventually creating the gaps. Myers’ two tries came within 4 minutes of each other with lock Thiu Barnard adding another 5 minutes later. Six more points came from the unerring boot of Gallagher.

After the break Nolan and Gallagher exchanged penalties before Field’s Ross Thornton and Ed Barber were yellow carded within a minute of each other. Lymm didn’t waste time cashing in on their two man advantage. More classy back play produced two more tries either side of the hour mark to give them back the lead. Replacement winger and former Field player, Andrew Williams got the first and Jennings completed his brace. Crucially Nolan missed one of his conversions.

On 68 minutes with play mired on the visitors 22 Field fullback Kian Stewart produced the match highlight. He seized possession, jinked his way through heavy traffic and raced clear for a try between the posts which was converted by replacement George Collins who had come on for the injured Gallagher to restore a 5 point lead for his team.

With ten minutes to go Barber saw red for a second bookable offence and two minutes later Williams crossed for his second try to level the scores. Nolan missed the conversion and a subsequent penalty.

With time almost up Field were awarded a kickable penalty but opted to go for touch. The kick only got them to the Lymm 22 but the throw in was clean and followed by a superb 20 yard driving maul which the hosts managed to halt just short of their line. After some recycling and a couple of drives flanker Lewis Quinn broke through for the final try of the match which Collins converted to seal the win.

Huddersfield entertain Hull at Lockwood Park next Saturday, kick off 3pm.

Huddersfield: Stewart K; Stewart F; Workman; Barber; Horsfall; Gallagher; Potter; Thompson; Myers; Rollins; Barnard; Dawson; Quinn; Parfitt; Hammond. Replacements; Whitfield; Thornton; Collins; Moore; Wilson.

Written by Richard Sykes.

Photo by Ray Morris.

Share this post:

Rugby Results

13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

07/SepFirst XV v Sandal Away


No events just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners