Match Report….Tynedale 33-18 Huddersfield

Field fail to turn things round after another poor start.

Huddersfield slipped to a fifth National 2 North defeat in Round 6 of the championship going down 33-18 at Tynedale. They were stung by five first half tries including a hat-trick by England Under 20 squad man Jacob Oliver. Three of them came in the first 15 minutes.

After the opening three scores Field hit back with tries by Billy Hammond and Adam Ryder but the home side’s response made the score 27-13 at half time and left them with an uphill struggle in the second period.

For Huddersfield’s director of rugby it was a case of deja vu. After the game Neil Ryan commented, ‘It’s a similar story to previous weeks. We started poorly and gifted opportunities. Our first up tackling was disappointing and we made it difficult for ourselves. We reset at half time and there was a marked improvement and it was frustrating not to get the try scoring bonus. If we had started like we finished we could have won.’

In the early stages Field’s defence around the fringes was poor which allowed Tynedale to break ground. Oliver got his first try on 6 minutes and bagged his second within ten after which Field fly half Joe Potter opened his team’s account with a penalty when Tynedale lock William Nankivel was yellow carded for foul play.

Prop Angus White then got try number three for Tynedale before Field cashed in on their one man advantage. Hammond’s try came from a catch and drive from a lineout, the Number 8  crossing after a penalty took them close to the line. Ryder went over on the left wing, the ball reaching him through the hands from the other side of the pitch.

Oliver’s hat-trick score came on the half hour, the young hooker dotting down after a kick and chase.

Nankivell rounded off the first half scoring on his return from the sin bin, the ball popping up nicely for him after being hacked forward when it went loose at the break down of a promising move by Kian and Finlay Stewart for the visitors.

A strong wind made kicking conditions difficult and all but one of the first half conversion attempts were missed. Fly half Josh Leslie landed the only success after Oliver’s third try.

Leslie opened the scoring after the interval with a penalty on 44 minutes but it was Field who showed strongly as the second half progressed.

Paul Harrison making his first appearance for Field came on for the final 40 minutes. The replacement scrum half looked sharp and got his team going with his brisk and accurate passing.

Midway through the half the home side were being put under pressure. Tynedale forwards Benedict Blackburn and Ben Haigh were yellow carded within three minutes of each other and moments later were made to pay for their indiscretions with a third try by the visitors.

The penalty after the second sin binning took Field inside the Tynedale 22 and the ball from the lineout was moved inside where centre Ed Barber drove over close to the posts.

Although Harrison missed the conversion he continued to probe and pose threats and Field continued to press but the Tynedale defence held firm to deny them the bonus point try.

A Jake Rodgers penalty for Tynedale 12 minutes from time produced the last points in the game.

The defeat leaves Huddersfield propping up the table. Next week they host Sheffield Tigers who are in 7th place, kick off 2pm.

Huddersfield: Stewart K; Stewart F; Workman; Barber; Ryder; Potter; Walker; Thompson; Moore; Rollins; Dawson; Barnard; Quinn; Parfitt; Hammond. Replacements; Davis; Harrison; Haywood; Horsfall.

Written by Richard Sykes.

Photo by Ray Morris.



Share this post:

Rugby Results

13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

07/SepFirst XV v Sandal Away


No events just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners