Billingham 53-29 Huddersfield….Match Report

Impressive debut for Stancliffe but Field fall short at Billingham.

Tom Haywood and Lewis Workman scored tries for Huddersfield at the beginning and end of the first half in their National 2 North away game at Billingham but the hosts scored four in between them. Ed Barber converted both for Huddersfield but Ryan Foreman was off the mark with all but one for Billingham who held a 22-14 lead at he break.

In the second half Finlay Stewart scored two tries for Field to secure the try bonus and Barber added a third but Billingham bettered their first half tally. They scored 5 more tries, with forwards Daniel Dixon and Daniel Burns both doubling the first half contribution to make it 53-29 at the finish.

In a high scoring, if not spectacular game, made difficult by a strong biting wind, there was no shortage of effort from either side as each battled hard for supremacy. Haywood opened the scoring just 4 minutes into the game, peeling off the maul from a lineout after a bright start but with Foreman at fly half dictating the midfield Billingham produced a good response. Their 4 first half tries came in the space of 13 minutes midway through it. Props Dixon and Kieran Clarke got the first two with Burns notching the third and centre Matthew Kirby getting the last of them after some lively back play.

Field finished the half strongly, working the ball through the phases and forcing penalties which drew yellows for Burns and Billingham lock Ryan Kirkbride. Workman’s try came 5 minutes before the break, the full back bursting through between the posts after some determined try line defence by Billingham.

Archie Stancliffe made an impressive first team debut on the wing for Field and was unlucky not to get on the score-sheet as the half drew to a close. The 18 year old Academy product ran at pace to take a pass to the right flank but the ball bounced frustratingly off his chest with the whitewash beckoning.

Billingham increased their lead by 12 points in the third quarter with a try by Peter Youll, and a second try and conversion from Dixon and Evans. Stewart struck back for Field with his first try, the wingman showing his pace to race in on 58 minutes. Two minutes later Field flanker Francis Entressengle became the third player to be sent to the bin following a technical infringement.

Dixon and Evans countered with two more tries in the space of two minutes for Billingham after which Stewart notched his second. Just 10 minutes after scoring his first and running a supporting line he latched on to a pass after a cross field kick had wrong footed the Billingham defence. Barber rounded of Field’s scoring with try from a powerful break in the centre.

Burns’ second try and Evans’ fourth conversion took the home side’s total over the 50 point mark with time almost up.

Huddersfield are next in action on 6th April when they play their final home game against Otley, kick off 3pm.

Huddersfield: Workman; Stancliffe; Hawkyard; Summers; Stewart F; Barber; Harrison; Thompson; Haywood; Rollins; Barnard; Pearson; Davis; Estressengle; Quinn. Replacements: Dawson; Neilly; Walker; Phayer; Whitfield.

Written by Richard Sykes.

Photo by Ray Morris.

Share this post:

Rugby Results

13/AprFalcons v Wharfedale 2
15/MarA Team v Halifax 2
25/FebColts v Driffield - Yorkshire Plate Semi-Final 51-0 (W)

Rugby Fixtures

07/SepFirst XV v Sandal Away


No events just yet, check back soon!

Main Partners

Club Partners