All spectators should:
- Act as positive role models to all players.
- Be familiar with, and abide by, the RFU Child Protection Guidelines in relation to verbal and emotional abuse
- Respect guidance from the Club or School with regard to spectator behaviour
- Acknowledge good individual and team performance from all players irrespective of the team in which they play.
- Respect match officials’ decisions, even if they appear to be a mistake – remember, they are volunteers providing an opportunity for players to play rugby.
- Never verbally abuse players, coaches, match officials or fellow spectators: such behaviour can create a negative environment for players and their behaviour will often reflect this.
- Acknowledge effort and good performance rather than ‘to win at all costs’.
- Verbally encourage all players in a positive manner, shouting ‘for’ not ‘at’ the players.
- Encourage all players irrespective of their ability – never ridicule any individual player, regardless of the team in which they play.
Version 1 – October 2020